DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

TOP STORIES

Latest News

Texas man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

 September 13, 2023

A man in Texas has passed away after eating raw oysters carrying a deadly bacterium.

The tragedy unfolded when the individual, reportedly in his 30s, met with a shocking and unexpected fate. Consuming raw oysters that were contaminated is said to have caused his death, in that they introduced a flesh-eating bacteria known as vibrio vulnificus into his system, as the Daily Mail reported.

Vibrio infections on the rise

According to local health authorities, the victim, whose identity remains undisclosed, ingested the bacterium from the oysters, with the contaminant at issue predominantly residing in warm, coastal waters.

There has been an increasing trend of vibrio infections across the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) even raised an alert concerning this issue. This year, the deadly infections have already claimed at least 12 American lives.

Dr. Philip Keiser from the Galveston County Health Department, the agency which reported the recent death, warned:

These infections, once they take hold, can spread extremely rapidly — like a fire.

Patient's compromised health

Delving deeper into the victim's health background, it was found that he had a preexisting liver ailment. In addition, he was on medication that suppresses the immune system.

This combination considerably heightened his vulnerability, making him more susceptible to the severe implications of the vibrio infection.

The health department, led by Dr. Keiser, typically documents five to ten such infections annually. However, fatalities are less frequent, occurring just "every few years."

Unfortunately, specifics including the date of the man's death and the precise source of the contaminated oysters remain undisclosed.

Dangers of vibrio vulnificus

Warm coastal waters serve as a natural habitat for vibrio vulnificus. When shellfish such as oysters filter their surrounding water, they often ingest the bacteria, leading to contamination.

Humans, when consuming such contaminated seafood or entering these waters with open wounds, expose themselves to these harmful bacteria.

Contrary to popular belief, stomach acids do not neutralize vibrio vulnificus. Instead, consumption can cause the bacteria to travel to the small intestine.

Here, they proliferate rapidly, causing significant damage to the neighboring tissues.

The rapid progression of this infection can induce septic shock within mere days, and eventually, lead to death.

CDC data indicate that one in three diagnosed patients do not survive a vibrio infection.

Recognizing the symptoms

When the bacteria enter a human body through food, symptoms manifest within hours. Victims experience nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, and vomiting.

As the infection becomes more aggressive, they also develop high fever, chills, and sepsis -- an intense and potentially fatal response of the body to infection.

To combat the infection, medical professionals often resort to antibiotics and, in severe cases, surgery to excise the affected tissue.

The aforementioned victim from Texas became the twelfth individual in the U.S. to succumb to a vibrio infection this year.

States such as Florida have reported eight such fatalities. Meanwhile, New York and Connecticut have reported one and two deaths, respectively.

The reasons behind the infections in Florida and New York, whether from consuming shellfish or swimming in open waters, have yet to be determined.

However, in Connecticut, at least one person was infected after swimming in the ocean.

Future concerns for coastal US states

Historically, this bacterium was confined to the Gulf of Mexico.

Yet, due to increasing sea temperatures, it is gradually invading new territories.

Researchers and scientists predict that by 2040, vibrio might be present in every U.S. coastal state, posing a significant threat to public health.

Conclusion

  • A Texas man died after consuming raw oysters tainted with vibrio vulnificus.
  • The CDC has alerted about the rising number of vibrio infections.
  • Vibrio can cause severe illness, especially in individuals with compromised immunity.
  • Patients might experience symptoms like nausea, fever, and sepsis after consumption.
  • With rising sea temperatures, there's potential for the bacteria to spread to all U.S. coastal states by 2040.