Two men arrested after horrifying massacre left 6 dead
New reports have emerged about a tragic shooting incident in Tulare County, California that claimed at least six lives in January.
According to coverage of the incident from Yahoo News, local police have arrested two individuals in connection with "an execution-style massacre" in the town of Goshen, located in the Central Valley.
The Tulare County Sheriff's Office has named the suspects as Noah David Beard, 25, and Angel "Nanu" Uriarte, 35. Both are reportedly members of the Norteño gang.
Officers with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives reportedly took the two men into custody following a shootout in the early hours of Friday, February 3. Uriarte reportedly suffered wounds in the fighting and had to undergo surgery, but was expected to survive.
The encounter followed a series of raids law enforcement officers carried out across the state of California.
Tulare County Sheriff Mike Bourdreaux described the circumstances surrounding the pair's apprehension, reported the New York Times. He said multiple agencies were involved in tracking the men closely, stating "We had them under our wing, exactly where we wanted them."
Both Beard and Uriarte are now facing six counts of murder, along with weapons and gang charges. If they are convicted of all charges, they could face the death penalty, CNN reported.
However, that would require Governor Gavin Newsom (D) to lift the state's moratorium on capital punishment, which has been in place since 2019. Bourdreaux has repeatedly implored Newsom to take this step since the shooting, but Newsom has yet to indicate his intentions in this regard, reported the New York Times.
Among the six dead were a mother in her teens and her infant child. Video footage of their deaths has since emerged, showing the young woman attempting to flee to safety before one of the gunmen cuts her off and shoots her and her child.
The oldest victim of the attack was a 72-year-old woman; she was shot in the back of the head while kneeling, reported the New York Times.
The police have also released a recording of a 911 call a woman made while the shooting was ongoing. She told the responder "They shot my boyfriend. They keep shooting outside."
She continued by saying "Hurry please. They’re coming back. They’re coming back. They’re back," subsequently adding "That’s them. They’re shooting in the house."
That woman reportedly survived the incident by taking cover in a trailer, reported Yahoo.
The victims of the shooting came from four generations of the same family, reported the New York Times. Though the precise motive for the shooting is unclear, at least one of the men who died was reportedly a member of a rival gang.
A Troubled Community
This shooting is the latest tragedy to befall an area with long-running issues involving gang crime. According to the New York Times, there are around 900 known gangs in Tulare County. However, this most recent event has reportedly sent shock waves through the area despite the fact locals are well accustomed to gang violence.
An ABC report from October of last year detailed a series of shootings that took place across the county. Four people lost their lives in the space of a week, with another seven suffering injuries related to shooting incidents.
Sheriff Bourdreaux told the outlet that "each of these cases involves gangs and or drugs."